Of course! It is now easier than ever to release a cover version on streaming platforms thanks to an update made in 2021 to The Musical Works Modernization Act, after which the streaming platforms are in charge of paying the original owners of a composition their share of the royalties. However, it is only legal to release a cover song uniquely on streaming platforms without a mechanical license in all territories excluding the United States, Canada, Mexico, Japan, India & Pakistan. On the other hand, get a mechanical license if your song is going to be available worldwide and on download platforms or if there are going to be any physical copies made. You will collect your share of royalties from its exploitation. You will not collect any publishing royalties because you did not compose the song.
(!) Since Corite will distribute your music globally and across all major streaming and download platforms, we still require you to make the appropriate clearances and submit the right documentation to us for approval of your release.
This is true if your music:
- Includes samples or beats from other original content
- Is a cover version of another song, even if you produced it from scratch
- Includes any type of copyrighted content that you do not own
- Uses sounds from online libraries that are not cleared for commercial use
- Remixes are not considered cover songs and require different licensing
Also, a cover song needs to:
- Stay true to the original by using the same title, lyrics, melody, and structure
- Original artist(s) must not be credited as performer(s)
- Credit the original lyricist, composer and publisher within the metadata
Please read these articles for related information:
Message us if you need help with this.